Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Book Review: Praying for Your Future Husband

Hey Everyone!

I decided that if I was really going to take this blogging seriously I better start today while the excitement is still here or the whole New Beginnings post will be my first and last post of the new beginnings.  :P  So, I decided to go ahead and do a book review on a book I read recently that actually goes along well with a series I am hoping to start soon.  So, without further ado, my book review for Praying for Your Future Husband by Robin Jones Gunn and Tricia Goyer


                                                                        ******
Synopsis from the back of the book:

Have you ever thought about praying for your future husband?
Will it make a difference?
There's only one way to find out…

From when we were small girls, most of us dream of "The One," our future husband. We think about what it would be like to be a bride. We wonder who that special guy is and when we'll find him. The great news is that what you do now can make a difference in your life and the life of your future husband!

Authors and good friends Robin Jones Gunn (Christy Miller series) and Tricia Goyer (author and former teen mom) believe God answers women's prayers for husbands—even husbands they may not meet for years. They invite young women to pray boldly for their future mate … while also asking God to prepare their own hearts.

In Praying for Your Future Husband, Robin and Tricia share their two vastly different experiences, including the things they did right and the mistakes they made on the path to meeting and marrying their husbands. Each chapter includes helpful Bible verses, prayers, and practical application, along with true stories of women who prayed for a husband and how God answered in remarkable ways.

God has a beautiful romance prepared for you. Prayer is the key to unlocking the love story … with your future husband and with God, the lover of your soul. 

                                                                       ******


I have to be honest, while I love Robin Jones Gunn as an author, I was really skeptical going into this book.  I feel like every time I turn around anymore there are so many 'self-help' books for singles to 'find that perfect boyfriend/girlfriend or spouse' when quite honestly, I don't really go for it.  While I do want to get married and have a family, that is not the beginning of my life as so many seem to think, I really love my life and am enjoying participating in ministries I wouldn't have time to work for if I had a family to worry about.  Being single really does have a lot of advantages.  It was with this attitude I went into reading this book, I mean, I've randomly prayed for my future husband since I was about twelve or thirteen, but it was never much more than a, "God, please let him be a christian, oh, and blue eyes, blonde or brown hair would be nice."  (It depended on what year it was whether it was blonde or brown.  :P )  The pendulum even swung so far as to pray, "God, I'm really enjoying being single, could you just keep him really busy doing things for you right now, because I definitely don't have time for a relationship and well, I am enjoying doing all of these things I can do because I am single."

With this attitude I began the book, but it quickly had my attention, because it wasn't like any of the other books or speakers I've read/heard before.  Each chapter begins with Robin and Tricia taking turns telling a piece of their love story, then giving some practical advice on what to actually pray for your husband.  Each chapter would also give a testimony from an outside source on how prayer had actually made a difference in their husbands life before they had even met.  For instance, one girl felt God really leading her to pray hard for her future husband to wait for her and leave any bad relationships he might be in over the course of eighteen months and journaled about it.  Several years later after she had been married to her husband for awhile, she randomly mentioned it and after looking at the dates in her journal, it turned out he had been in a potentially very harmful relationship, but about the time her prayers began felt God telling him to get out of the relationship.  How encouraging to see that our prayers actually can make a difference in our future spouses life!

Each chapter also went over something specific to be praying for your future husband, some examples being, that he is sold out in love with God, for his purity, that he will have patience, that he will be loyal and faithful to you now and after your marriage and the list went on.  However, I was really pleased to see that it did not end there, it then went on to explain that if you want to marry a man with those characteristics, you need to be praying that God will cultivate the same in your own life.  I LOVED this.  So often it is so easy to pray for him to meet this list of expectations and totally forget that if you expect someone else to live up to that list you better already be living up to it as well.  Each chapter would then end with two prayers, one for your future husband and one for yourself and then some group discussion questions.  I read through this book on my own, but still found them very thought provoking. 

At the end of the book was an appendix with a list of 52 things to pray for your future husband with a scripture, one for each week of the year.  I really love this list and actually copied it and put it in my Bible so that I can remember to pray for my future husband using the list to get started.

Out of five stars this book receives a five star review from me.  This is one of the first times I have seen this subject successfully tackled. 

I hope you have found this book review helpful.

Blessings,
Michelle a.k.a. Mikala

No comments:

Post a Comment