Friday, April 3, 2015

God's Love

Hey Everyone!

Yeah, we'll give this blogging thing one more try.  I was talking with one of my friends last night at church and randomly mentioned that I used to blog and she told me I should start up again, so we'll see what happens!  Life has changed a lot since I last blogged I feel like, I am no longer a bridal consultant (goodbye Say Yes to the Dress life) and just started this past week working as a preschool/daycare substitute teacher.  It's been going really good so far, I keep falling more in love with the job each day.  :)

Almost two weeks ago I went to see my favorite group, Anthem Lights!  It was so great seeing them again, but during that time, Alan told a story.  I posted it on facebook, but I'll go ahead and post it on here and why it affected me so much.  :)

  Alan has a little girl named Avery Jade and he loves to tell her how much he loves her. Ever since she has been little he has had this conversation with her:
Alan: Daddy loves you so much Avery Jade, do you know how much he loves you?
Avery Jade: You love me a lot!
Alan: Will daddy ever stop loving you?
Avery Jade: No!
Alan: What if you're wearing pink? Will daddy still love you?
(giggling) Avery Jade: Yes!
Alan goes on with several more silly questions before ending the encounter with a big hug. They do this every day and the questions and answers never change.
However, two weeks ago Avery Jade threw a big tantrum over something, kicking, screaming and crying. Alan held her and calmed her down, after she had calmed he began like he always did:
Alan: Daddy loves you so much Avery Jade, do you know how much he loves you?
Avery Jade: A whole lot!
Alan: What about when you kick, scream and cry?
For the first time ever, Avery Jade paused. Then in a quiet, uncertain voice said, "I don't know."
Alan said it broke his heart. Nothing had changed for him, but suddenly it had all changed for Avery Jade. He loved her unconditionally no matter what, she is his daughter, but suddenly Avery Jades assurance of his love, even after hearing how much he loves her every day since she was born, she doubted if he could still love her.
Cuddling her closer, Alan told her, "Nothing you could ever do Avery Jade will ever make me stop loving you, no matter how much you may cry, scream or kick I will ALWAYS love you."


Aren't we all like Avery Jade?  When we first become a christian and hear of God's love for us we accept it so willingly and so happily!  Then, along the way, we keep falling back down.  Suddenly, God is saying, I love you so much, do you know how much?  And we're saying, I don't know, did you see what I just did?  I just don't know if you can still love me.  The whole time God is saying, "Nothing has changed on my end, I'm still here loving you, not a future you, the you you are right now."  I love this image of God as our father just loving on us and trying to share that love with us.  Afterwards Alan made the point to say, nothing that we can say or do is going to change how God feels about us, the question is what are we going to do with that love?  Are we going to keep  acting as if we need to earn the love and beating ourselves up every time we mess up?  Or are you going to accept the love and just bask in it marveling how a perfect God can love you so much?  I want to choose to marvel in God's love, for it really is a choice.

Last night at my church group we listened to a sermon by Matt Chandler from passion and he talked about how father's get so excited every time their kids take their first steps.  They don't get mad when their kids fall down, instead they pick them up and encourage them to keep trying.  It's not different than the story with Avery Jade when she threw her tantrum, when we fall down God isn't waiting for a chance to get angry and "smite" us, instead he is a loving father cheering us on to get back up and saying how much he loves us!  So next time you fall down, instead of beating yourself up and thinking that God can't love you right now, remember the image of Alan with Avery Jade and a father cheering you on to get back up and keep trying to walk.  
Michelle

No comments:

Post a Comment